« Home | The Mailbox: Volunteering » | Dual Monitors » | The Spare » | Big Brother is Watching » | Snooze » | Things I Should Not Do with My Bonus » | The UNLV of Eastern Massachusetts » | Changing the Ol' Routine » | Things I Should Stop Doing » | Lucky Penny »

Go Davidson II

I love this time of year because of two words: March Madness. It helps that I am sitting atop of my $150 first prize money pool with 35 out of 48 correct picks and 12 of the Sweet 16 teams left. It will probably be short lived as I always do well the first weekend, then tank badly afterwards. Anyway, here are some thoughts on the remaining teams and picks that have made me look like a genius/retard thus far.

My Genius Pick: Davidson to the Sweet 16
Just look at their schedule. They ran over their competition in the Southern conference and lost close games to UNC, UCLA, and Duke during the regular season. Oh, and they got to play two opening round games in their home state and have a star whose father was an NBA player. Yeah.

Honorable Mentions:
West Virginia over Duke, Siena over Vandy, Stanford over Marquette

My Retard Pick: Pitt to the Elite 8
After dismantling Oral Roberts, the Big East Tourney Champs laid an egg against Michigan State, which I also picked against. Now I have to cheer for the Spartans to pull a humongous upset over Memphis so I don’t lose my lead. Note to self: Do not under any circumstances ever cheer a team with a nocturnal animal for a mascot or any college teams that my high school friends went to.

Dishonorable Mentions:
Temple over Michigan St., Kent St. over UNLV, Notre Dame over Wazzu

For the rest of the field, I like UNC, Kansas, UCLA, and Wisconsin to take care of business over the lesser competition. Louisville looked dominant in the second round; Tennessee did not and that is unfortunate. Xavier has made me nervous for the past two games, as they have shown that they can only play in the second half. They need their balanced attack early to have any chance against a very good West Virginia team, which by the way, won last year’s NIT.

As for Stanford vs. Texas? Well, you know where my loyalty lies 99 times out of 100. But this is business and Texas is playing in Houston. If Augustin can make clutch free throws (instead of airballing them like he did against Miami), they win.

One last thought. There is no way in hell I am taking UCLA. That is like wishing for the guy who is dating your dream girl to grow taller, stronger, and even more handsome than you. No! You want them to fall flat on their face. Perhaps maybe not immediately, but eventually.

Besides, how sweet would it be to see your team (Davidson II) punish UCLA in the Final Four! In fact, I have the Longhorns down to win it all. Hook 'em!

Labels: