« Home | Things I Should Stop Doing » | Lucky Penny » | Bad Press » | Spore » | Mint » | The Chihuly » | Have You Met David’s Brother? » | Not Your Father's ChemE » | The A-List » | The Nevada Caucus »

Changing the Ol' Routine

Someone please find me a way to spell routine without rut; I am still waiting for that breakthrough.

So lately I have been doing things a little bit differently. I started eating breakfast, although it is still not quite as often as I would like. I also changed the radio station to which I wake up in the mornings from 106.5 to 96.5. A little continuous soft rock never hurt anyone.

The biggest change, however, is I am now more upfront in the way that I handle people who I consider my friends. I am someone who just likes to include everyone! I do not think I have any enemies.. except for this one kid in seventh grade named Vance, who said he would like to punch me in the face if he could, so we started hating each other, but that is another story. My thinking is: If you know me, then we must at least have some common interests or friends, and if you are not the planning type and would like someone else to do it so that we could still hang out, then I would be more than happy to take the lead. It tells me that you trust my judgment to organize frightenly fun activities that may or may not involve drunk Russians.

If that is the case then please, as my friend, have the courtesy to answer your emails every once in a while. Get over yourself because no one is ever that busy. It makes you look like less of an ass and makes me look like less of a douche for having included you in the first place. If you are truly busy or have legitimate excuses or if it is really not your thing, then state so. I will understand and I promise I will not take it personally. To get you started, here are some perfectly reasonable responses:

  • "My mom is sick and I am driving her to the doctor that day."
  • "Clubbing with Russians is not really my thing. I think I'll pass."
  • "I am busy and cannot make it."
  • "I am overly concerned about my image and would like to wait for others to bite before I actually respond, at which point I will nonchalantly say something like yeah maybe I'll make it if I can and I'll probably come anyway, but only since you invited that cute guy/girl too and I want to get a chance to check him/her out."
What is not acceptable is this:

  • "Maybe."
  • No Response
Yeah. It leaves you wanting more, huh?

I understand that we are all busy young professionals living our separate lives with a million other things to worry about, but friendships should not be this hard. Make the effort and I will reciprocate. Stay off the Vance-list.

Labels:

Yea!!! You go. Tell those slackers like it is (...searches in her email for "maybe" replies...)

Post a Comment