My First Time with Virgin
OMG, I found out my bridesmaid is pregnant!
Note: If you want to find out how this story ends, please do read on. Otherwise, close your browser, turn off your computer, and lock all your daughters inside.
---
It started Thursday afternoon when I had Tyler drop me off at SFO. Actually, scratch that. Rewind. It started about a week ago when I decided to blow off my Southwest flight Friday to purchase a one-way ticket for a day earlier on Virgin America (which by the way, is very different than Virgin Atlantic!). It was $43 and SW credits unused trips. Seriously, gas at $3.80 a gallon at a conservative 30 mpg for a 530-mile road trip would have cost more than that. I am so glad I did because I am now a convert.
First, you know how they advertise about the VA Difference? Well, the first thing I noticed when I got on the plane were the mood lights. They were subtle, but just different enough that you can choose to either notice or ignore them. Upon boarding, they also give you the option of choosing a headset so you can enjoy the entertainment that is flying. Also, when you wear red, you get to board first! Okay, so maybe that last one was more flight- and crew-specific. But nice!
The personal computer entertainment for each seat, while it has some kinks, is very well-put together. On the San Francisco tarmac, I effortlessly scrolled through tens of different artists and created a personal playlist with my favorite songs! Sure, I can do the same thing by bringing an iPod, but I would then not be putting my fingers all over the back of the guy who sits in front of me! Yes, that is right; the system has touch screen capabilities!
The text-messaging other seats feature is a neat one that I did not get a chance to use, mostly because I was traveling alone. I question its value though. I think it might be most useful if you are traveling in a big group of friends, but to randomly strike up a conversation with a total stranger who is three rows ahead of you? We are not quite there yet.
I also got to play Doom. Enough said.
The last comment I have regarding this topic is the live satellite TV. It is great, if only it worked. Apparently, Virgin hates ESPN -- the only channel I cared about watching -- because it kept freezing. And not freezing entirely so you would give up watching any television and go back to your songs, but freezing, then teasing you by playing a little bit of Magglio sucking it up highlights, then freezing again! Argh!
All in all, I was very impressed with their service and if it were not for the fact that they fly out of SF and not SJ, I would take them all the time. I would definitely consider them for long-distance trips, since that is most likely when I will need the most distractions. In fact, I already have a flight booked out of JFK in May. Can't wait!
---
So there was a reason why I flew home over the weekend. Congratulations to Greg and Lindsay for getting married today! You know it is an awesome occasion when I get to wear a yarmulke, or "yamaka." :-p
Oh, and have you figured out why my bridesmaid is pregnant? It is actually not that scandalous, but I needed a hook, otherwise, no one would read this. Anyway, I just got paired up with one of his married sisters in the bridal party. Go me.
Note: If you want to find out how this story ends, please do read on. Otherwise, close your browser, turn off your computer, and lock all your daughters inside.
---
It started Thursday afternoon when I had Tyler drop me off at SFO. Actually, scratch that. Rewind. It started about a week ago when I decided to blow off my Southwest flight Friday to purchase a one-way ticket for a day earlier on Virgin America (which by the way, is very different than Virgin Atlantic!). It was $43 and SW credits unused trips. Seriously, gas at $3.80 a gallon at a conservative 30 mpg for a 530-mile road trip would have cost more than that. I am so glad I did because I am now a convert.
First, you know how they advertise about the VA Difference? Well, the first thing I noticed when I got on the plane were the mood lights. They were subtle, but just different enough that you can choose to either notice or ignore them. Upon boarding, they also give you the option of choosing a headset so you can enjoy the entertainment that is flying. Also, when you wear red, you get to board first! Okay, so maybe that last one was more flight- and crew-specific. But nice!
The personal computer entertainment for each seat, while it has some kinks, is very well-put together. On the San Francisco tarmac, I effortlessly scrolled through tens of different artists and created a personal playlist with my favorite songs! Sure, I can do the same thing by bringing an iPod, but I would then not be putting my fingers all over the back of the guy who sits in front of me! Yes, that is right; the system has touch screen capabilities!
The text-messaging other seats feature is a neat one that I did not get a chance to use, mostly because I was traveling alone. I question its value though. I think it might be most useful if you are traveling in a big group of friends, but to randomly strike up a conversation with a total stranger who is three rows ahead of you? We are not quite there yet.
I also got to play Doom. Enough said.
The last comment I have regarding this topic is the live satellite TV. It is great, if only it worked. Apparently, Virgin hates ESPN -- the only channel I cared about watching -- because it kept freezing. And not freezing entirely so you would give up watching any television and go back to your songs, but freezing, then teasing you by playing a little bit of Magglio sucking it up highlights, then freezing again! Argh!
All in all, I was very impressed with their service and if it were not for the fact that they fly out of SF and not SJ, I would take them all the time. I would definitely consider them for long-distance trips, since that is most likely when I will need the most distractions. In fact, I already have a flight booked out of JFK in May. Can't wait!
---
So there was a reason why I flew home over the weekend. Congratulations to Greg and Lindsay for getting married today! You know it is an awesome occasion when I get to wear a yarmulke, or "yamaka." :-p
Oh, and have you figured out why my bridesmaid is pregnant? It is actually not that scandalous, but I needed a hook, otherwise, no one would read this. Anyway, I just got paired up with one of his married sisters in the bridal party. Go me.
I think it's spelled "yarmulke." Yeah, go silent letters. :-P
Posted by
tpiglette |
April 6, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Hmm.. A new way to flirt with the texting capability. You should definitely try it out on your next flight. ;-)
Posted by
DC |
April 7, 2008 at 6:58 PM