« Home | Hong Kong Part 2 » | Hong Kong Part 1 » | Strange Phone Calls » | Song: Avenue Q - Fine, Fine Line » | St. Croix County » | Bowling Nostalgia » | Anniversary Day » | New Activities » | LDRs » | Being Twenty-Something »

Hong Kong Part 3

Since my last update, I have completed my vacation (including the Beijing part) and am now back in the US. Here is a recap of my last days in Hong Kong.

After breakfast one day, my aunt and I decided to take a bike ride around 上水 and we subsequently visited the market. It was just as I remembered it (and remembered reading about it), with fresh fish and produce and meat all over the place and vendors begging for you to try their goods, claiming that theirs is the freshest. We bought dinner for that night and some of my childhood favorites -- lychee and Pocky -- since I have not had those in years.

It may have been the same day or a day later, but the family and I decided to go to the beach and the Victoria Peak area to cool off since it was so darn hot. At one point while we were playing in the water, my cousin lost track of his kid and he fell face first into the water and had his first taste of the Pacific Ocean. Naturally, everyone had a good laugh, but not after some tough scolding by my grandma and aunt for not being attentive enough.

The night was still young, and Felix wanted to get his Asian-American guy dance in, so Ayrton and I went to this club called Sugar in the hippest part of Hong Kong. Since my cousin had to work earlier that day, I took it upon myself to take public transportation out to Kowloon to meet him, all without getting lost! Luckily, this was not Beijing, so my Cantonese knowledge was still somewhat useful. The club itself was nothing special, I mean, it was just like any other one I have been to, and since it was ladies-free night, the place actually got pretty crowded. I even got a free drink with my admissions ticket, and boy did that Coke go down fast! At around three, I had had enough of the noise, strobe lights, and smoke, so we left and stopped by this café for a quick bite before heading home.

The following day, after not having slept very much, we decided to go to Ocean Park! The last time I was there, I was six or seven, and I distinctly remembered being scared to death about riding the pirate ship. A good eighteen years later, I was still hesitant about facing my demons, but I did it for the sake of nostalgia. We walked around seemingly forever, stopping to see jellyfish, sharks, and other marine life. It was actually pretty fun to be able to cap off my first leg of the vacation with this amusement park run with the family, and while I was a little saddened that I missed the Disneyland trip this year, this turned out to be a pretty good substitute.

Later that night, I saw my grandma off at her residence and spent the rest of the time back at my aunt’s place packing. There is excitement in finding new territory to explore! Beijing, here I come!

Oh yeah, pictures of HK can be found here.

Labels: