The Jungle
It does not happen often, but every once in a while, I find myself with a little unscheduled downtime. Not surprisingly, this occurs around the holidays as my favorite activities get ramped down to a halt so that they could be picked up again in 2008. This year was no different, for Danse Libre, bowling, and soon softball will head into their simultaneous 'bye weeks'. Additionally, I had my last West Coast Swing class a week ago, and boy, it was a good one.
The story begins after I dropped off my Christmas presents at Diana's tonight. Suddenly, I found myself with some extra free time, and I was lost as to what to do with it. I could beat a few more expert songs on Guitar Hero 2, or set up Scrabulous games with a few of my unsuspecting friends, but eh, I have been doing that quite a lot lately, so those ideas were nixed. I could watch football highlights or something but oh wait that's right, I am out of the playoffs already because of a certain player whose name rhymes with best crook. So what did people use to do before electronics took over their lives other than playing cards and having children? That is right, there are these things called books!
So I continued reading The Jungle. I read for more than an hour in one sitting, which sadly is a lot by my standards. It was the really heart-wrenching part too, with Jurgis and the jail and Ona. Hopefully that was enough to jog some memories, yet not enough to give away the plot for those waiting to read it. I am aiming to finish it by the end of this week so that I can start on my non-fiction for the year. As you may recall from a certain January post, I am a little behind on my reading goal.
Anyway, that was pretty much what I wanted to share. It was not a very exciting evening, but that is okay, because we need days like these to balance out all the awesome things that has happened or will happen, including the time that I caught friendly fire by my own wingman.. on a practice mission, no less! It's a jungle out there! "Wanna get away? Well, now you can!" Unfortunately, that is a story that will just have to wait for another time.
Oh, before I forget, do you want to know what I got Diana this Christmas? It is kind of ironic given the content of this post, because it is the opposite of a book! What the heck is the opposite of a book, you ask? A shredder! :-)
The story begins after I dropped off my Christmas presents at Diana's tonight. Suddenly, I found myself with some extra free time, and I was lost as to what to do with it. I could beat a few more expert songs on Guitar Hero 2, or set up Scrabulous games with a few of my unsuspecting friends, but eh, I have been doing that quite a lot lately, so those ideas were nixed. I could watch football highlights or something but oh wait that's right, I am out of the playoffs already because of a certain player whose name rhymes with best crook. So what did people use to do before electronics took over their lives other than playing cards and having children? That is right, there are these things called books!
So I continued reading The Jungle. I read for more than an hour in one sitting, which sadly is a lot by my standards. It was the really heart-wrenching part too, with Jurgis and the jail and Ona. Hopefully that was enough to jog some memories, yet not enough to give away the plot for those waiting to read it. I am aiming to finish it by the end of this week so that I can start on my non-fiction for the year. As you may recall from a certain January post, I am a little behind on my reading goal.
Anyway, that was pretty much what I wanted to share. It was not a very exciting evening, but that is okay, because we need days like these to balance out all the awesome things that has happened or will happen, including the time that I caught friendly fire by my own wingman.. on a practice mission, no less! It's a jungle out there! "Wanna get away? Well, now you can!" Unfortunately, that is a story that will just have to wait for another time.
Oh, before I forget, do you want to know what I got Diana this Christmas? It is kind of ironic given the content of this post, because it is the opposite of a book! What the heck is the opposite of a book, you ask? A shredder! :-)