Keeping Touch
Something strange happened two Sundays ago. An old ChemE friend of mine, Karl, called me up randomly to chat. I mean, that is just pure craziness, right? In a world dominated by IMs, emails, and super poking, who still uses the freaking telephone? It was oddly refreshing.
The phone call lasted forty-three minutes and change, before I had to run off to bowling. It spanned a range of topics from the superfluous that is driving through the Iowan corn fields to the recounting of my mother's successful fight against cancer earlier this year. At the end of the conversation, I just sat there befuddled, in awe, and amazed at how a simple gesture like what my friend did can mean so much, and it ended up energizing me for the rest of the week! I vowed to spend the remainder of this year fulfilling my promise earlier this January of reaching out to my old high school and college friends, and paying the deed forward.
I have concluded that most relationships are not salvageable not because we do not care what happens to them, but it is because we do not have the time nor do we make the effort to care. Let's change that, starting..
Now.
The phone call lasted forty-three minutes and change, before I had to run off to bowling. It spanned a range of topics from the superfluous that is driving through the Iowan corn fields to the recounting of my mother's successful fight against cancer earlier this year. At the end of the conversation, I just sat there befuddled, in awe, and amazed at how a simple gesture like what my friend did can mean so much, and it ended up energizing me for the rest of the week! I vowed to spend the remainder of this year fulfilling my promise earlier this January of reaching out to my old high school and college friends, and paying the deed forward.
I have concluded that most relationships are not salvageable not because we do not care what happens to them, but it is because we do not have the time nor do we make the effort to care. Let's change that, starting..
Now.
Labels: life