« Home | Februrary 2006 » | January 2006 » | December 2005 » | November 2005 » | October 2005 » | September 2005 »

March 2006

March 1, 2006
Ah, it's a new month already, and we all know what that means: March Madness! Since Stanford has had a down year, it's safe to say that they won't be the ones winning it all (or even making the NCAA tourney for that matter). This is good news for me though, because I tend to be little biased whenever I see them play.. I mean, gosh, 2004 was a BAD year for my bracket. They were ranked first in the nation with a 28-game winning streak and I had so much senior pride. Man, let's never let that happen again.

So what's my prediction for this year? Well, it's pretty tough, but I anticipate that the championship game will consist of some sort of a canine up against some sort of a feline.. so let's see, we can subtract out the non-legitimate teams and it'll probably come down to something like UConn/Gonzaga vs. Memphis/Pittsburgh, and since I like neither the Huskies (since they 2-peated not too long ago) nor the Panthers (since their city won the Super Bowl), I'm gonna go with the Memphis Tigers over the Gonzaga Bulldogs, 76-70! You heard it here first.

March 3, 2006
Hello, world.

I am on my second cup of coffee today, after drinking some very strong honey tea during lunch too, and it's not working! Note to self: Please get more than four hours of sleep on a worknight. Zzz.. At least I'll have something to entertain me with tonight as Justin and I are heading across the bay to watch the Lakers take on the Warriors. This will be my first pro basketball game since the Jazz/Celtics game at the Fleet Center some five years ago.

In other exciting news, my first of three tax refunds came in today (haha, this is a good month financially)! Woot! But then I realized that I have to pay David's tuition next month, so that kinda deflated my bubble. Still, maybe I can splurge a little. Okay, I have decided. I will treat myself to an Arby's roast beef sandwich next week.

March 6, 2006
Still feeling somewhat overexerted from last week’s massive entries, so I will have to go point by point here.

Lakers at Warriors: This was kinda fun, though the game could have been more entertaining had the score been closer. I met Justin up at the Arena in Oakland by taking public transportation from Fremont (go BART!). Our seats were pretty high up, but the venue’s small enough where it didn’t matter all that much. Kobe went off for (a quiet) 42 points, and Jason Richardson had this monster breakaway dunk. I didn’t like how it was a 'home' game for the Lakers, though. So many LA fans in the audience!

Accenture Formal: So Diana beat me to a post since she updated this weekend, so I’m just going to steal hers. Thus, you can read about our night and see some pretty pictures here. One side note: I just love how she posted an incriminating shot of me doing the Asian guy dance and mentioned my brush with the law on a public forum without actually telling me first! Good job, Di.

Ice Skating: This turned out to be a blast, even though the skating rink that Carrie and I went to is somewhat on the ghetto side. So one thing I should warn people about Carrie is that she tends to be a little on the evil side. I mean, seriously, don’t skate in front of her, unless you want some ice down the back of your shirt, too! I also managed to randomly bump into my coworker there (not literally!), but he appeared busy, so I didn’t say hi. You know, a little quality time with his kids and all.

WoW: Xilefmu is back! Justin, Brian, and Eric, I will kill you all. Individually. Looking forward to another month of a screwed up sleep schedule. Sigh.

March 8, 2006
I was reading an article online yesterday about business leaders and their secrets to success, and the common denominator amongst them is that they all seem to wake up ridiculously early and that they are not wishy-washy in their decision-making. I mean, I think it is okay to second-guess yourself in the process of making an important decision (goodness knows I had been guilty of that many times), but when that hesitation becomes a crutch, then it will just make you appear weak and indecisive.

So knowing that, I sort of took that advice from the article on my commute to work this morning. I had been running a little late (WoW, I’m telling you.. it will be the end of me), and I knew from my past experience that if I do not get to the Shoreline exit by 40-after in the middle of the work week, then no matter how awesome this new off-ramp is, I would be anticipating an extra 15 minutes of travel time, due to the Google, Microsoft, and whatever else traffic in the area. Thus, I took a detour and returned to my old Moffett route. A safe, but sound decision! As it turned out, it was unnecessary -- the other way would have been just as good, if not better, but I made an informed decision based on the data and stuck with it. This leads me to wonder: Are bad decisions respected and still rewarded if you can defend your reasons of why they were made in the first place? Let’s say that this was a business decision. Should there be repercussions, even though at the time that the decision was made, it seemed like the wisest thing to do?

Fortunately for me, I am at the point in my life where my toughest decisions are rather trivial, like what should I eat for lunch or dinner? I am pretty sure that will change in due time, but for now, this is a good problem to have.

March 9, 2006
RIP Stanford men's basketball.. what a tough year. But oh ho! What's this??

"The NCAA Tournament, also known as March Madness, begins Thursday, March 16 and runs until April 3. But the first two days of the tournament are a true bonanza for sports fans (and hence advertisers) since a total of 32 games will be aired on Thursday and Friday.

Games begin as early as lunchtime on the East Coast and there are periods when as many as four games are occurring simultaneously. So many cubicle dwellers will have the ability to keep an eye on all the action.

For those who are worried about what their employers might think, CBS SportsLine has built in a ""Boss Button"" that when clicked, will replace the streaming video with a spreadsheet."

Awesome. :-)

March 12, 2006
I don't really have much to say here, but I felt compelled to post. Still, sometimes no news is good news.. that is all.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

March 14, 2006
"Here is a very funny (and true) article that I found on CNNSI about what else, the NCAA tournament! In case you're not a sports-watching romantically-minded man like myself, and want me to just cut to the chase, here're a couple of excerpts that I found particularly amusing..

Regarding the play-in game:

"That's insulting to the players and coaches who have worked so hard to get their teams into the tournament. This is the Big Dance, and they've been told that they're the back-up date in case a prettier girl can't go, but, hey, they've got great personalities! For most of these small-school players, getting to play in the NCAA tournament will be the unequivocal highlight of their basketball careers, and it's one that they've earned. When they get to tell their kids about playing in the tournament, they shouldn't have to add, ""On a Tuesday..."" under their breath. Imagine if your parents not only did not buy you that new bike for your birthday, but they also ran over your old one while you were riding it. That's about the closest I can get to how disappointing this must be."

"So you've made a grueling run through your conference championship? You're ready to try to be the Cinderella who knocks off a top seed? Well, that doesn't sound difficult enough, so why don't you try doing it after playing an extra game so you'll be less rested than your first-round foe, arguably the best team in the country? Why not just make the kids play with weights around their necks?"

"Should the play-in game be eliminated altogether? The idea of sneaking an extra team into the tourney is still a good one if it can be done without punishing deserving smaller schools, so why not have the last two at-large teams taken off the bubble in the play-in game? After all, they're the ones who had an opportunity to win their conference tourney but didn't. These last few teams are usually deeply flawed major-conference squads whom no one really expects to advance very far. Sure, they can't play for a 16 seed, but have them scrap it out for a 10 or 11, which is usually where the last at-large teams end up anyway. If nothing else, this system is more equitable, and it would certainly boost the TV ratings for the play-in game; last year's play-in game was only watched by seven people, most of whom couldn't find the remote."

"The NCAA could take this slow expansion of the field to its logical end and just let every team into the tournament. The expanded tournament would still take roughly six months less than the NBA playoffs. The Sweet 16 could be replaced by the Wonderful 334. Filling out a bracket would take four days, 12 sheets of paper and a team of mules. Of course, there would be so many games that CBS would have to switch coverage to a different one every six seconds rather than every eight like it does now."

March 15, 2006
Here’s a post that I’ve been postponing because I didn’t know how it would have sounded had I written it earlier in the week, and I didn’t want to give off the wrong impression. Anyway, here goes.

Have you ever gotten the feeling that life could be better? Granted, I could be so much worse off, but I’m not. And seriously, by any measure, I should be happy.. and I am, for the most part. I mean, I have a great job that keeps me challenged, a nice house to live in, a fast car that I drive very, very slowly nowadays, and a cast of wonderful, supporting friends. But something is missing. In talking to Phil yesterday, I realized that I am stuck in a rut, or more like something closer to a constant cycle of lethargy and restlessness that is slowly driving me insane. What’s worse? I keep telling myself (and in doing so I have told others) that I need to get away, if only for a weekend, a day, or an hour so that I can do something that I’ve never done before, you know, add some excitement to my otherwise static life. Alas, nothing’s happened yet (either through a lack of motivation or maybe I’m just too chicken to do anything excruciatingly wild) and this inactivity has been continually dampening my normally optimistic mood.

Gah! What is wrong with me? A mid-twenties crisis? You oldies out there, fill me in because I would really like to know.

March 19, 2006
Snaggle87: yo
Fefoofix: hey
Snaggle87: did you play any lineage or were you too busy playing wow all day? ;-)
(silence)
Snaggle87: oh god, you're still playing wow right now, aren't you?
Fefoofix: lol
Fefoofix: sorry
Fefoofix: yes
Fefoofix: just finished though
Fefoofix: :-)
Snaggle87: lol
Snaggle87: you'll never be ""finished"" with wow
Fefoofix: no, i doubt it
Fefoofix: it's like a bad breakup
Snaggle87: bah
Fefoofix: you keep going back for more
Fefoofix: and a new girl comes along (lineage 2)
Fefoofix: and you're still so hung up on the ex (wow)
Fefoofix: that you can't move on
Fefoofix: sigh
Snaggle87: damn you tantalizing us with the prospects of being our healer and backing out!
Snaggle87: now we're screwed! screwed!!
Fefoofix: LOL
Fefoofix: that is pretty crappy, huh
Fefoofix: i expect lots of deaths
Snaggle87: yeah man, that's not cool

March 20, 2006
I was watching part of the game yesterday between Bradley and Pittsburgh and I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but those folks at CBS sure have a lot of humor, humor that's much appreciated because I'm a dork like that. Anyway, so you know how they show the score at the bottom right corner of the screen with the teams abbreviated? Like Stanford would be Stan, North Carolina would be UNC, and Duke would be.. Duke? Well yeah, as you probably could have guessed by now, yesterday's 13-seed/5-seed matchup was between dun dun dun.. Brad/Pitt. Hehehe!

March 22, 2006
Alright, going to take a break from reading SOPs and start writing. So here’s a funny story about Panda Express that actually made me chuckle to myself in the car.

Earlier in the week, Iswadi had mentioned that he watched something on TV that involved some guy going to Panda Express, but the thing is he always gets screwed there because they don’t ever give him enough food. So his friend taught him this one trick when ordering his items to ensure a maximum return on the amount of food, and that is to appear indecisive after you’ve been asked for your second item. Example: I’ll take orange chicken aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand beef and broccoli. That way, the server would keep scooping up the orange chicken into your box while you’re 'deciding' on your second entrée. Good idea, no? So Felix, being the skeptical one that he is, decided to try this out...

First, I went in and scouted out the people behind the counter, because I just had to figure out those who would be willing to work with me here (the ""Scoopies"") from those who are just trying to hurry people through the line (the ""Stingies""). Thus, after I found my potential target, I went in and ordered my fried rice. I was then asked what I wanted for my first item and so I was like hehe.. here goes: ""Uhm, I’ll take the orange chicken aaaa (cut short).."" Oh crap, she closed to box to write the order on there! Wait nooooo! Stop writing and start scooping! But alas, the moment had passed. It didn’t work! Sigh.

Feeling a bit defeated, I went ahead and ordered my second item. However, if the story just ended there, then that would have just been tragic! In the midst of filling up my box, my server asked, ""Are you interested in a third item? It’s only a dollar twenty more!"" So Felix, being the quick thinker on his feet that he is, replied, ""A third item eh? In that case, I’ll take the beef and broccoli aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand (scoop, scoop, scoop, scoop) oh never mind, I’ll just stick with those two."" Score! Hehehe.

Too bad it wasn't the chicken. :-)

March 22, 2006
In the spirit of finals week at Stanford, here's a multiple choice question that might get me slapped in the face by my female friends, so if you're included in that category, please *do not* read on. Otherwise, I'd welcome the feedback.

So.. who would you rather marry?

A. A Cute Girl (someone who you'd take home to your parents)
B. A Hot Girl (someone who you'd.. take home)
C. An Ugly Girl (but hey, they have a great personality!)
D. None of the Above

March 28, 2006
I don’t link to other people’s blogs on my own posts unless 1. I’m too lazy to write plus someone went to the same event that I did and posted before me, or 2. Someone has the exact same thoughts that I did about something and they can translate those thoughts more beautifully into words than I can. In this case, it’s the latter, and I have Jack and his analysis of the UCLA/Gonzaga game to thank for that.

So a little background. Last Thursday, these two powerhouses battled it out in Oakland for a chance to represent what west coast basketball is all about in the Elite Eight. It was a superb game, one of the best ever college games that I have witnessed as a sports fan. My heart was pounding, I was clutching my blanket and at times even chewing it, and of course there were the random outbursts of me yelling at the TV. Now don’t tell me you get that way from watching Grey’s Anatomy! Obviously, it didn’t hurt either that I needed the Bulldogs to win to stay alive in my bracket, and to fulfill this fantasy matchup between Memphis and Gonzaga that I had prophesized earlier this month. Alas, my heart sank when UCLA stormed back from 17 down in the first half, and 9 down in the final three minutes to steal the win.

The thing is, I loved UCLA’s tenacity, their mental toughness, and the fact that they played to win. They didn’t cry and whine and complain when things looked bleak. I think this is the reason why it bothered me so much when Adam Morrison was crying *before* the final buzzer sounded. I mean, shut up kid, and play the damn game; it isn’t even over yet.

Thus, this is why I will be rooting for the Bruins to win it all next week in the Final Four and the championship game, despite the fact that I would win third place ($15!) in my money pool if LSU beats them. They deserve to win, and they have proven that to me. Also, there’s this little thing called Pac-10 pride.

Sure life throws us lemons once in a while and our resolve gets tested (sometimes more often than we’d like), but it is how we respond that truly defines us. It is okay to cry, but gosh, do it only when you know it’s over and then be a man and move on.

March 30, 2006
I’ve been kind of on the edge lately because we’re starting to run clinicals and as I’ve been told, no one has ever screwed up clinicals before. It was a close call yesterday, as I was put in charge to monitor the compression operation while my fellow ChemE (the batch supervisor) attended a meeting. I just have to be careful with decimals next time. Who would have thought that rounding was so important? More exciting times to come as clinical coating will happen next week! At least I am more experienced with that process.

I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, and on a semi-related note (though that’s not the reason the appointment was made in the first place), I think I’m coming down with another cold. Good job, David.

Also, there is a slight chance that I will be flying home next weekend. Stay tuned.

March 31, 2006

406_0690, originally uploaded by balee.

Using this as a test post to monitor the LJ-Flickr combination.